Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Things and life




That's my mother, to your left. Just after she graduated from nursing school, I believe. She was rather pretty in her heyday, don't you think?

And a couple of other pix - me with Mum a few years ago, and Mum with Patrick last year, reading to him. :-)

She died on July 4. I don't want to talk too much about that here, really, but it's a sad, strange and surreal thing, losing your mother.

Especially since she was always such a vivid and energetic woman, right up until she had heart-valve replacement surgery last year. The surgery seemed to steal something vital from her that just never came back.


I have been reading, I just haven't been blogging. I'm not sure whether that's really going to change in the near future or not. I'm perfectly okay with not reviewing what I'm reading at the moment. I love being a books blogger, even though I'm really only ever on the fringes of the community, but right now ... right now it's not on my list of Things That Matter, if that makes sense.

My hours at work changed, and I'm working days five days a week as opposed to two days/five nights that I was doing.

Work has changed in more than one way, but it's a little convoluted to explain. After two weeks of it, though, I'm settling in okay. I just have to get used getting up earlier in the morning - lol.

I had a peek back on my blog, and I haven't posted a review since May. H'm. I need to think on this a bit. I want to keep the blog going, but the question now is how?

*adopts thinky pose*

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear that about your mother :(
What job do you do?

Hmm, well, after you've read a book, do you feel as though you must post a review? I don't really review books... don't have the energy for it :P haha.. I just post what books I've read and a SUPER short thing on what i think of them (sometimes)

But I think a blog depends on the individual, on what you want to get out of a blog :)

I have a blog for my books/personal stuff. and a blog for my teaching(work) :)

Good luck in whatever you decide :)

Ana S. said...

*hugs just because*

It's totally fine that posting about the books you read is not a priority right now. I know this is easier said than done, but your blog, your rules! Keep it going at our own pace and talk about what feels right to you WHEN you feel like it #Ishouldtakemyownadvice

As long as you're still on Twitter and don't abandon us for good we'll all be happy :P

Maree said...

mel: Thank you <3 I'm a copy-editor. I haven't thought too deeply about the blog yet; I think I'm just waiting for an answer to come to me :-)

Nymeth: <3 <3 Yep, that's basically where I'm at right now, thank you <3
Lol I'm so hard-wired to twitter ... don't worry, I'm still around :-)

Eva said...

*hugs* Maree

I completely understand why blogging isn't all that important right now. I'm sure it'll sort itself out over time; perhaps once you decide you want to start blogging again, doing some experimenting w different posts/styles/approaches will help you figure out the best way to keep blogging. When I came back from my latest long break, that's what I did, and it was quite fun.

Memory said...

*hugs*

What everyone else said. We're all happy to see you around, no matter how often you post or what you write about. Just make sure you never leave Twitter!

chrisa511 said...

Love you Maree! I'm so sorry about your mom :( If you ever need to talk, you know where to find me. As for blogging, just do what YOU want!! That's what I've been doing..blogging when I want about what I want and it's made all the difference in the world. None of us are going anywhere, my dear :)

Maree said...

Eva: That's what I'm hoping will happen. We'll have to see <3

Memory: No worries there, I don't think! Twitter's my online home - lol

Chris: I love you too!! I feel like we don't get to talk enough D: <3 <3

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I am so sorry for your loss! My father passed away 11 years ago on July 4th, and since then my family has always made a point of making the holiday a special day.

Good luck with your job and your blog, and know that we'll all be here for however often or randomly you post!

Anonymous said...

They're beautiful pictures of your mum:) Take your time and just know that we'll be here whenever you're ready to post. But like the others said, it's your blog!

Terri B. said...

Maree, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Those were lovely pictures you posted. *hugs*

We'll still be here whenever you post :o)

joanna said...

I'm sorry to hear your sad news. Of course blogging isn't what matters right now! The wonderful thing about this community is that even if you disappear for a while, you are always welcomed back with open arms. Take whatever time feels good!

Erin (moviemuse) said...

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry about your mom. And don't worry about your blog. It is *your* blog, and you should write about whatever you want to write about, whenever you feel like writing. If that's 3 times a day about your favorite food, great. If it's once a month about your life or your family, great. If that's twice a year about books, great. Your blog, your rules. And we'll just be here reading, whenever you're ready. {{{hugs}}}