Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Book buying ban update




















So back in August I blogged about a book-buying ban: http://justaddbooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-non-buying-of-books.html I figured that I wouldn't make it entirely until the end of the year without breaking it, because ... I'm weak-willed - lol. But what I did do, when I happened to buy a book (which wasn't really that often) was not think "oh, well, I might as well give that up because I failed," but went "Okay, bought a book. BACK TO THE BAN." And that ... sort of actually worked?

I've bought ... one? new book since August - Stephen King's latest, Full Dark, No Stars, and the rest have been from secondhand bookstores, or the library's withdrawn pile. I counted, and I've bought 11 books since instituting the ban. Given that before that I was nearly buying a book a week, that's not too bad. The most expensive was the Stephen King, of course, given that it was new, and the cheapest were probably the withdrawn books from the library that go for about 50c - $1.

As you can see from the picture, I'm a magpie when it comes to books and reading. I go for things that catch my eye at the time ... which might also explain my overflowing bookcases - lol.

I'm carrying on with the ban until the end of the year, like I said. And I don't regard the fact that I broke it ... more than once as a fail so much as ... a learning curve? Yeah. Let's call it that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you did well, so far! I think the fact that you're on a book buying ban doesn't stop you completely from buying books, but you're more aware of what you're doing. And that helps!

Keep up the good work. And the time saved with not shopping... spend it reading!

Eva said...

You're doing great! I don't think books bought at library sales really count. ;)

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

I think you did extremely well! You were clearly more careful with how much you buy. I really should do something similar for the first part of 2011, my TBR is awefully big.