Pages

Friday, June 5, 2009

Thank you Mr Eddings


Fantasy novelist and creator of The Belgariad David Eddings died this week. There are quite a few tributes out there, but this one is my favourite: http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2009/06/will-and-word-tribute-to-david-eddings.html

As a teenager, apart from Lord of the Rings, the Belgariad was one of the first major fantasy series that I read, along with the first three Dragonlance novels. I still remember picking up Pawn of Prophecy for the first time in a bookstore. And Dragons of Autumn Twilight, come to think of it.

So. That picture above is of my (very) battered Belgariad, that I will be re-reading after many years. Tis my own tribute.
The books are so beaten down because they were passed around among my friends at high school. And yes, those books are held together with sellotape and good wishes. What can I say? I was 15.

Yeah, I was one of the weird, outsider kids, for whom I like to think these worlds were created.

Thank you, Mr Eddings. It'll be an honour to spend a few days in your world again.

1 comment:

Ana S. said...

I've never read him, but it's impossible not to be familiar with his name if you're a fantasy fan. RIP :(