Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gilbert! Or, you had me at Oscar Wilde




Oh, Oscar Wilde … this is all your fault.
Here I go again. Amanda is hosting the Challenge That Dare Not Speak Its Name, and it's all about GLBT literature.
Read all about it here: http://zenleaf.blogspot.com/2009/05/glbt-challenge-2009-sign-up.html
The idea is to read six books in six months that are either GLBT (I want to call it Gilbert. I feel like it should be a word on its own) or are written by Gilbert authors.
And I wasn't going to do this challenge, but then I bought The Angel's Cut by Elizabeth Knox.
Most of my books are re-reads and I need a recommendation for one more, because I only have five.
They are:
The Passion by Jeanette Winterson, which I haven't read for years and coincidentally have been meaning to re-read.
Pages for You by Syliva Brownrigg, which I've read a couple of times, and is one of my favourite books ever. It's just so …...... romantic.
The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox. Because of this: “The terms of the pact are this: 'Xas shall go freely. God shall have his pains and Lucifer his pleasures'.” And because the last line of this book pretty much breaks my heart every time I read it. It's my second-favourite last line after Lord of the Rings.
The Angel's Cut by Elizabeth Knox, because it's the sequel to The Vintner's Luck.
The Picture of Dorian Grey, by Oscar Wilde because … it's Oscar Wilde.
I would have had Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List here, but I accidentally read it a few weeks ago.
So … any suggestions?

3 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

I love Oscar too. Maybe something from Ann-Marie MacDonald?

Amanda said...

Yay! Thanks for joining. If you go out to the signup post and click on each person's link, that'll give you tons of suggestions. Most people haven't picked specific books, but have just listed a ton of possibilities.

Ana S. said...

I still don't know what to read! But since you've already read Naomi and Ely, maybe something else by David Levithan?