Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Weekly Geeks




The explanation for this week's Weekly Geeks is here:
http://www.weeklygeeks.com/
I'm answering one, two and three; and will probably do number four later in the week if I remember.
Okay. So. How do I feel about classical literature?
Here's the thing. I feel the same way about everything that I read. I hope I'm going to get a well-told story that will take me out of myself for a bit.
Having said that, I do have my personal challenge to read one classic novel a month, which range from The Count of Monte Cristo (still kicking my ass) to Brideshead Revisited to A Wizard of Earthsea.
My definition of ''classic'' is very broad, and not one I've ever tried to quantify.
As for recommending classics to someone else ... one of my favourites from last year was A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. So that one.

I'll read at least one chapter of the Count of Monte Cristo this week, so that'll cover that.

Now. Cousin Myrtle. I"m going to assume that Cousin Myrtle and I are close. Because before we went into the bookstore I'd tell her to harden up, stop being a snob, and pick something because I'm not spending however-long-the-holiday-is listening to her complain about how she has nothing to read.

Hopefully I can get around the other Geeks and find yet more reading ideas. :)

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

I'm the same...I don't look at classics as a group apart. What I expect from them is what I expect from every book I pick up: a well-told story that will hold my attention.

Ali said...

Your Cousin Myrtle will never forget her book again, that's for sure!

Staci said...

I sometimes feel intimidated by some of the classics while others I happily embrace. Right now I'm reading Pride and Prejudice.

Anonymous said...

I do believe that I add A Moveable Feast to my tbr because of YOU.
The term classics and ALL genre/classifications/tags/whatever DO get confusing sometimes, huh? JUST TELL ME A GOOD STORY! and let me get lost in the writing, that's all I ask.