Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What am I reading?

Good question!
I've weeded out my library books and have a bunch to take back on Saturday. Which will mean getting more out, obviously, while the library workers coo over Patrick. It's a win-win.
Anyway. Still going (slowly!) on Sense and Sensibility and I"m wondering how long it's going to take me to read The Old Curiousity Shop, which is March's classic novel.
It doesn't help that I have the concentration of a kitten and I end up reading every sentence in Sense and Sensibility at least twice. And whenever Colonel ... Brandon? the one Alan Rickman played in the movie comes on the scene, I see and hear Rickman, but as Severus Snape!
Anyway. Apart from that, I just started The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Crucially, I started it at midnight last night and was accidentally sound asleep on the couch by about 12.40am. Nothing to do with the book and everything to do with the fact I'd only had about 3 and a half hours sleep the night before.
I work second shift, in case you're wondering why I'd be up so late. I'm almost always up until about 1.30am -2am and usually it's prime reading time. But not last night.
And now I'm rambling.
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is the memoir of Jean-Dominique Bauby, the editor-in-chief of French Elle magazine who, at the age of 43 suffered a massive stroke that left him with locked-in syndrome. His mind was fine, but the only part of his body he could move was his left eyelid. Remarkably, that's how he dictated the book. He died two days after its French publication. So, despite falling asleep, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it. :)

No comments: